The Equality Act 2010 requires schools to publish specific and measurable equality objectives.
We believe that children need to be supported to develop a deep and meaningful understanding of ‘real equality’ and to do this there needs to be a whole school focus on developing awareness and empathy of the lives and experiences of others. Each year we choose an objective to work on which will move the whole school consciousness forward.
In making our selection each year we look at trends and patterns in behaviour, opportunities open to children in their normal day to day life and things that have arisen through the changing face of the world year on year.
Equality Objective 2019-20:
Identify opportunities in the Assembly and the wider curriculum to look at other cultures/countries, study famous people from ethnic minorities to begin a wider discussion about the values of individuals.
2019-20 Equality Target review:
- Variety of perspectives in Assemblies have been widened to give children a better experience of life other than their own
- Quality of social engagement through assembly driven whole school initiatives has deepened children’s connection to the wider world eg: support of PADFRAS as a focus for thankfulness and Harvest
- Range of visitors for children to experience has widened slightly
- Range of music from other cultures & communities as part of singing practice has developed significantly throughout the year and feedback from children has been very positive
Developments going into 2020-19
- Introduction of new PSHE approach and CREW session throughout school to develop children’s understanding of themselves and others. (Please see PSHE page)
- Upper KS2 Life skills curriculum- passion projects and social action as a weekly part of their learning
2020-21 Equality Target:
Review the diversity or perspective in all elements of the new curriculum- Canon of Literature & Music Appreciation, PSHE
Access parent working parties to QA the provision we are delivering to see if it is fit for purpose for our developing school context.